Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Hello. My name is Dorian, and I'm an addict.

I can just hear you now saying, "Hello, Dorian!" in such a warm, accepting tone that offers absolutely no judgment whatsoever.

Thank you. That's so kind.

Today was the first successful day of staying on track that I've had in nearly three months. It's been that kind of...season? Three months is a long time to screw around.

I'm not sure why today is any different than any other day. I just decided.

I wonder how much of our life successes are based on that. Just deciding.

Today, I just decided to make sure I packed enough food that I wouldn't get so hungry at 4:00 that I felt the need to eat everything in sight.

I also decided to drink as much water as possible, and keep the caffeine consumption to a minimum.

And I decided that no matter what happened, I would stay within my Points today.

It's funny what just deciding about something can do.

It worked. That's what it did.
My 4:00 snack helped me stay on track until dinner time.
The water I drank throughout the day helped to keep me full, hydrated, and I think helped with sugar cravings. I don't know what the limited caffeine did to help me, but I get all of my caffeine through diet soda, so I know that can't be great for me. I'm sure limiting it does something good for me.

So, one thing I decided is to admit that I'm a food addict. In particular, I'm a sugar addict.
I don't know what it is about sugar, but in certain forms I feel powerless against it.
Mostly the form of chocolate.
Especially M&M's and Reeses Pieces. They're my own personal form of Kryptonite.
Over the past few weeks, I've started to notice how much sugar I am consuming through sweets. Donuts. Ice cream. Chocolate. Cookies.
Almost everyday, I craved something full of fat and sugar. And nearly every day, I gave in to my cravings.

I finally realized that I need to get this crazy addiction under control or I'm going to quickly end up as a diabetic. I've watched my mom inject herself with insulin for years and years. I don't particularly want to experience that myself.

Time to give my pancreas a rest, and stop using up all my body's insulin just because I have a sweet tooth.

Here's to another successful day tomorrow of deciding to do what's best, not necessarily what's easy.

1 comment:

Mary @ Giving Up On Perfect said...

Dang it. Internet ate my comment. Short version: Woohoo! Way to go! In your FACE, sugary chocolate temptation! :)