Friday, June 6, 2014

5:30

At 5:30 in the morning, I seem to have a mixture of emotions and states of being going on.

First, I'm angry that it's 5:30 in the morning and I'm awake.

I'm also angry that I have to get up because mini munchkin has peed through her diaper and sheets, and I have to change them.

And I'm angry that she is now wide awake, and so is munchkin number 1, now, too. I'm the only bleary-eyed person in the room angry at having lost out on 30 precious minutes of sleep before my alarm was set to go off.

Notice how early it is? No one should be up
at this hour. Especially me.
Not only am I angry at 5:30 in the morning, but I'm also highly suggestive at that time. My psyche can think things up that sound incredibly rational to my over-tired self, things that at other times would not make much sense.

Such as: You're missing out on a whole 30 minutes of sleep. There is NO WAY you're going to survive the day. Forget the exercise, get Mr. Man to watch the kids for the next hour or two, and go back to bed.

I caught on to that suggestion though. Oh, you sneaky psyche, you can't fool me! This week I've learned that my aching joints actually feel a lot better throughout the day if I make the effort to exercise. So, I can't just skip it, but nice try!

My psyche counters back, of course with a very sound argument: Okay, okay, fine. But you can at least sleep in a little bit, and cut back on the exercise today. Just do one mile instead of two, and that will give you an extra hour of shut eye time. You know you want to.

Of course I want to! Wow, that sounds great!! Let's do that. I'm sure I'll magically just wake up in time for that to happen. Let's go back to bed!

Nobody told my alarm about this great idea, though, and so it still went off at 6:00, a mere 10 minutes after I had gotten back into bed after changing the 20 pound diaper of pee, the stinking sheets, and the soaking wet pajamas. Not to mention, getting her older sister back into bed with threats that sounded something like, "So help me, I swear if I hear even a peep out of you, I'll..." (insert emtpy threat here), and then running to the kitchen to fill up the mini munchkin's sippy cup with milk, because maybe that would keep her quiet and send her back to dream land.

Alas...when the alarm when off, I hadn't even nodded off. I tried. I kept telling myself to relax, go back to sleep. Think peaceful thoughts. But it was not meant to be. I pushed the snooze button on the alarm, hoping that maybe, just maybe, I'd get a few minutes of extra shut eye, but no. No.

So, I pulled myself up out of bed. Tired. Angry. Still highly suggestive, and easy to manipulate, but I powered through.

I hate 5:30.

No comments: